My learning Portfolio!

Dual Coding Theory

When I was in economics class, the teacher asked us to have a class discussion and learned about other people’s different views on the problem. I think this method is very interesting and helpful. First of all, everyone has their own ideas. It is interesting to understand different ideas. In addition to that, because you may miss some knowledge points when thinking about the problem alone, it will be easier for everyone to discuss and solve the problem together.

Through reading this week, I learned that “the Dual Coding theory assumes that both visual and verbal information are used to represent information. Visual and verbal information are processed differently in the human mind and go through different channels. Some experimental studies seem to show that by combining information from visual and verbal channels, learners can remember more than just using one channel or overloading one channel.”(Mayer, 2005). Before that, when creating PowerPoint presentations, I often only entered some keywords. These words are used to connect the content of the next speech. And after I know “Dual Coding”, I will search for some pictures, tables, and videos related to the topic of my speech to enrich my presentation. I hope to impress my audience and remember more of the content in my presentation.

Reference

Mayer, R. E. (2005). The Cambridge Handbook of multimedia learning. University of Cambridge.

Mac Mahon, C. (2013). Dual Coding Theory & Multimedia Learning[Mp4]. http://vimeo.com/57440483

1. lukejr

Interesting posts you have worked on. I like the personal insights. Try to incorporate some more multimedia using some of your new skills such as Canva, or screencasts. Have a nice weekend!